JBBA & COVID-19

Posted on: Mar 13 2020

Update: 13-03-2020 @ 16:45 - 
Basketball England Announce 2 Week Suspension of All Activities


Basketball England has taken the decision to suspend all affiliated basketball activity and events for an initial two-week period because of the coronavirus outbreak.


See - http://basketballenglandemail.co.uk/interface/external_view_email.php?AJ932342625282164218435646292815&varId=

 

13-03-2020 @ 14:00 -
JBBA 2019/20 Season Activities Suspended Until Further Notice

The outbreak of COVID-19 has been deemed a worldwide health crisis and categorised as the WHO as a pandemic.

Advice from UK & local government, the WHO and other organisations such as Jersey Sport is changing day by day and the JBBA committee have met to discuss our position as an organisation.

We have taken the decision to postpone all JBBA organised basketball activities with immediate effect and review the guidance from the government and other bodies over the coming weeks. We will review our position at the end of March when, hopefully, the risk from this health scare will have become clearer and advice from government more unified.

This covers all JBBA training sessions and league games, including Junior, Men & Ladies training, Ladies League, Div 2 regular season and Div 1 play-offs.

We have not taken this decision lightly, and have made this on the basis of protecting the welfare of our members and the wider island community during these unprecedented times. Many larger leagues and events locally (e.g. Swimmarathon, Parkrun etc) and further a field (FIBA competitions, PGA golf and the NBA, NHL and Premier League seasons) and we expect more cancellations and postponements to follow. 

Having competitors in a small indoor area, with bodily contact, lots of sweating and playing a game with our hands is a perfect opportunity for a very contagious virus to be passed around.

We are in discussion with our Guernsey counterparts regarding the InterInsular competition, planned for 25/4, and will communicate more about this in due course.

We hope that you can understand the rationale to this decision, and we will continue to update you, via social media and this page, as the local guidance evolves.

Please feel free to contact the committee if you have any specific questions.